Great job so far to everyone in the MakerSpace! We are up to almost 70 members which is by far the most we have ever had. There are tons of great parts being printed almost every day from: parts that literally glow, a skull with a brain that fit in them and skin that wraps around it, parts for satellites, and the normal cool little models. We always like photos of cool prints so please email, tweet, or post to instagram any cool parts you make. Here are some overall updates from the MakerSpace:
- There are still intermittent authentication problems on the MakerBot printers but I think this is going unnoticed because not many users are using the MakerBots. If you have problems, please let me know. I am working on a solution directly with MakerBot.
- Many users are gravitating to the SLA printers which is great, but please makes sure you know the basics behind 3D printing before going directly to the SLA printers.
- Please continue to keep the SLA printers and the printing area clean. We are doing better at this.
- Please continue to use the whiteboards so we can help you out.
- Be very careful when installing/removing the trays. The trays can be left in the printer when not in use as long as the orange UV cover is down.
- The Ultimakers also also working well. Please clean up the build plates when done.
- The most common problem on the Ultimakers is PVA printing. In some cases the PVA filament becomes too brittle due to moisture absorption. This is why we run dehumidifiers as much as we can in the lab. Right now we are leaving PVA on the filament spools, but if PVA problems become more consistent again (we had lot of problems over the summer), we will remove PVA when not in use.
- No one is using the LulzBots currently so admittedly they are low on our priority, but as you become more familiar with 3D printing, many users will find them to be the best and most capable printers. If you think you need to use the LulzBots, let me or Marc know and we will make sure they are ready.
- 3 new SLA printers should be coming this semester. These will be VERY useful. We may have to set priorities for these printers as I expect them to be in high demand.
- I will be ordering more clear, white, elastic, and draft SLA resin very soon. If you think you need something else, please let me know soon. I will also be ordering filament so if there specific filament you need, let me know that as well.
- Ultimakers makes a brand new "printing station" (see here: https://ultimaker.com/3d-printers/ultimaker-s5-pro-bundle ) that has very quickly moved up our priority list. ETA is probably early to mid Spring.
- We are actively looking for students who want to do research projects using the Filabot filament making system. If you are interested, let me know.
I meet with our primary research sponsor in 1 week and plan to give them good news on many of our projects. If you have a project listed on our current projects page ( https://www.makerspaceusna.com/current-projects ), please try to update your data when you can. If you have long term needs in the MakerSpace (such as new capability), please discuss these with your faculty members and then give me input. We plan to make significant expansions over the next 5 years - nothing is off the table!