Time flies when you are having fun printing! I apologize to everyone in advance since most of these updates are long overdo. Please read all of the following comments but I will try to highlight the most important first and also try to be brief:
- The only real bad news is we have had some issues with inexperienced users in the MakerSpace so I am restricting user access to 1/C and 2/C students (from any major so not just limited to engineering students). This is not meant to be a penalty to underclass, but I expect the printing load to increase soon and we need to avoid some easy to correct engineering problems.
- There have been TONS of issues with MakerBot printer connectivity. I believe users are having to reauthenticate EVERY time. I have discussed this with MakerBot at length (pretty sure there is a dart board at MakerBot with my picture on it or a comment like "don't take emails from this guy..."). Bear with me while we work to correct.
- We have 2 completely new printers: 2 LulzBot Pros in the back of Ri225. They are not quite ready for prime time, but we will be looking for jobs to test them out very soon. If you have used a LulzBot before (or know Octoprint which I know some do...), contact us and you can be the first to use these new awesome printers.
- Both Mech-E and Aero will be offering an AM elective in the Spring of AY20 (i.e. next semester). They will be similar if not the exact same class. If you are interested contact me or Maj Graves in Aero. This class IS NOT limited to just Mech-E or Aero majors.
- Our SLS metal printer is fully working (but sorry not really ready for students yet). Check out some cool new videos: https://www.makerspaceusna.com/?wix-vod-video-id=c90b32fed86c4bab8c0336ee436557b7&wix-vod-comp-id=comp-ju5rvgc32#
- We replaced one of the Form2 SLA printers. Most people will not even notice this change.
- Our Current Projects page is fully up to date. Please check it out: https://www.makerspaceusna.com/current-projects . If you are working on an individual or Capstone AM project and need help or want to be showcased, let me know.
- We have a great way to capture time lapse videos of your builds and these make great (and very easy) additions to your Capstone presentations. Once you have figured out the printing process, talk to me or Marc and we can show you how to record a video of your build (using one of our GoPro cameras).
Final point, hopefully we will be recognizing some AM achievements this semester such as best 3D printed part or best AM project for the Fall semester. In addition to being highlighted in the MakerSpace Hall of Fame, we will hopefully have a real "reward". More to follow..
As always, Happy Printing!
- CAPT Baker